Dams Safety NSW is proposing changes to the Dams Safety Regulation 2019. The changes would allow Dams Safety NSW to more efficiently administer the Dams Safety Act 2015, and would strengthen dam safety management aspects of the regulation.
Dams Safety NSW sought feedback on the proposed changes from declared dam owners.
It was proposed that:
- declared dam owners will be required to provide the details of a contact person to Dams Safety NSW
- declared dam owners will be required to nominate an individual for ensuring compliance with their dam’s safety management system
- a competent person will be required to carry out risk rating calculations and an independent competent person will be required to check the calculations for high and extreme consequence dams and
- for high or extreme consequence category dams, a panel of competent persons will be required to:
- undertake safety reviews
- undertake a review of safety reviews
- check work involving dam designs.
The proposed changes are described in more detail on the following pages:
- Summary of proposed changes - Dams Safety Regulation 2019
- Frequently asked questions about the proposed changes
- Costs Benefit Analysis associated with the proposed changes
Consultation about the proposed changes to the regulation ended on Friday 17 September 2021.
Dams Safety NSW held virtual meetings to explain the proposed changes on 18 and 25 August. You can view the presentation and information session recordings.
- Proposed Dams Safety Regulation changes 2021 - Information session presentation
- Information session on proposed changes to the Dams Safety Regulation 2019
This is a recording of the community consultation information session held on Wednesday 18 August 2021.
Submissions closed on Friday 17 September 2021. If you have any questions, please call Peter Boyd, Manager Governance and Assurance, on 0418 259 984 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dams Safety NSW will publish the results of the consultation on the proposed changes in a ‘Summary of Responses’ document on this page of the website.
The Dams Safety NSW Board will consider the consultation responses before deciding on changes that will be made to the Dams Safety NSW Regulation 2019. It is expected that the amendment process will be completed early in 2022.